Free Search

There are plenty of places to do a free unclaimed money search, starting with the unclaimed funds page on this site.  There you can click on any of the states links to get more information.

detectiveYou can also go to NAUPA.

NAUPA stands for the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators.  It is a non-profit organization affiliated with the National Association of State Treasurers and the Council of State Governments.

MissingMoney, a Web site officially endorsed NAUPA contains the official collective records from most state unclaimed money programs. NAUPA will link you to every state unclaimed money  web site where you can search.

Both sites let you do your own free unclaimed money search.

There is absolutely no reason to pay anyone or any website a fee when you can do your own free unclaimed money search.

Most of these pay sites are just using lists that they get from the states anyway. The best thing to do is call any state that you may have lived or worked in yourself. You can find the states contact information using the map on the home page.


If you are still unsure about contacting the state, or just don’t have the time, you can enlist the services of an unclaimed money finder.

For a small fee, an unclaimed money finder can investigate for you and help you with the paperwork that you need.  Most likely, it will be prepared for you and you will just need to sign some forms.

Do not pay an unclaimed money finder an upfront fee..  Any legitimate finder will do a search for unclaimed money and then charge a commission, after you are paid. Click here if you are interested in becoming an Unclaimed Money Finder yourself.

Other Sources For a Free Unclaimed Money Search Include:

U.S. Links
Undeliverable   U.S. Federal Tax refund checks
The Internal Revenue Service may   have an undeliverable refund check that belongs to you.

Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp.
The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp.
has  a searchable database to determine whether you are owed any pension benefits if your pension plan no longer exists because it was closed or was taken over by the pension agency. You also can track down the benefits if you are a survivor of the person who should be drawing the pension. This site will tell you what to do if you believe you are owed money but aren’t found in the agency’s database.

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
A resource   website to search for any unclaimed insured deposits for financial institutions that were closed by a regulatory agency between Jan. 1, 1989 and June 28, 1993.

U.S. Federal Investments
The official source of information on U.S. Savings Bonds. Check this website for any Savings Bonds you may have forgotten about.

Missing U.S. Federal Savings Bonds
What to do if your U.S. Savings Bonds have been lost, stolen or destroyed.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
If you had a HUD/FHA insured mortgage, you may have a refund on part of your insurance premium or a share of the earnings.

Veterans Administration Benefits
Search for unclaimed veterans benefits owed to you by the federal government.

U.S. Railroad Retirement Board
Search for unclaimed railroad retirement benefits

Holocaust Links

Swiss Bankers Association
Victims of the Holocaust or their heirs can make claims to assets deposited in Swiss Banks during World War II.

Frozen Swiss Accounts Database Search Form
This website provides a notice of claim procedures for locating Swiss, Swedish, French,
and British bank and insurance accounts.

Holocaust Claims Processing Office of the New York State Banking DepartmentThis office attempts to recover assets deposited in European banks, monies never paid   in connection with insurance policies issued by European insurers and lost or looted art for victims of the Holocaust.

The International Commission on Holocaust Era Insurance Claims
Search for unpaid insurance policies issued to victims of the Holocaust. Information is available in 23   languages.

International Links

Bank of Canada
Search for unclaimed bank accounts held by The Bank of Canada.

Australian Securities and Investments Commission
Search for unclaimed money and unclaimed property held by The Australian Commonwealth Government.

France Unclaimed Monies
Search for unclaimed monies held by banks in France. Information is available in French only.

New Zealand Unclaimed Monies
Search for   unclaimed monies held by the Inland Revenue Department in New   Zealand.

Swiss Bankers Association
Search for dormant accounts in Switzerland


  1. Yvonne says

    Please let me know if United StatesTreasury checks have any value after 25 years. I am an execator trying to settle an estate, and have found 4 uncashed Treasury checks with dates of 1989 and 1990. I need to know on the behalf of the deceaased owner before I can settle the estate. I will appreciate any information you ccan provide.
    Thank you,

  2. linda brown says

    My husband died 15 years ago. He suppose to receive 60,000 dollars in
    diability money he died right after that and never receive it.
    Is it any way that I can get any anwsers about this money.

    • unclaimedfunds says

      Did you check with social security? If not, I would start with them. Then check any state he may have lived or worked in. The map on the home page will take you to the states unclaimed money department. If it takes you to a state with information on it, but not the official site, there will be a link somewhere on that page to take you to the official site.

  3. says

    Help caint find anything in unclaimed money but I have papers in my saying if we want to leas our part of land who can give me advice tierd of searching no results

    • unclaimedfunds says

      I’m not sure what you are referring to and if it has anything to do with unclaimed funds. Can you provide more specific information?

  4. kathleen weller speer says

    i had a friend leave something for me in her will.since she died i have remarriedhow would i go about finding if there was something in her will for me

    • unclaimedfunds says

      If there was money being held for you from that time, it would be under the name you had before you remarried. You would need to look for your name under that state. If there is nothing there, you can start looking at the various counties in that state and see if there is anything there. Finally, you may have to see if there is anything in the probate court in the county that she lived in. If you know her family, you may want to see if there was an estate lawyer involved that might have information for you. Good luck!

  5. paula corriveau says

    I received a savings bond as a child and the company has since closed and went out of business years ago would there still be money towards my bond or no?

  6. judy tennant-schwarm says

    I found a list of us world war 2 bonds my grandparents bought from Feb.6,1942 until june17 1944 . I have a official list of bond numbers. How do I find out if they have ever been cashed? I am they’re exector.

  7. moses nobela says

    My father was working at saps as a police officer from 1976 up until 1995 when he passed away and no claimed have been made the question is that how do I claim.

  8. Colette Froeschle says

    Arizona Excess Funds says they know of $$$ I am owed for an excess of a foreclosure sale, they say if I want info I have to go thru them!
    Please let me know where I can start researching this for myself.

  9. Amy Martin says

    I have been told I do have unclaimed money. I have seen an amount while looking on the internet. I spoke with someone who verified I do have unclaimed money. I was weary of giving out my credit card #. I need help!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>