Alabama Unclaimed Funds

There is currently more than $400 million in unclaimed funds being held by the State of Alabama.                       Alabama-State-Capitol

There are over 3.7 millions records waiting to be claimed!

The State of Alabama has operated an unclaimed money program since 1971. However, it only been a part of the Treasurer’s Office since 1996. The unclaimed money departments role is to:

(1) act as a consumer protection agency for individuals and businesses with unclaimed money

(2) indemnify businesses and allow them the opportunity to avoid the liability and expense of maintaining this money on their books

(3) promote awareness of the unclaimed money program and

(4) receive, evaluate & pay unclaimed money claims accurately and efficiently.

Since taking over the unclaimed money program in 1996, the Alabama Treasury’s office has returned over 345,000 claims.

Over $195 million has been returned by the State of Alabama to it’s rightful owners or their heirs. The average claim amount for 2009-2010 was $1,465.33.

You can search The State of Alabama directly for unclaimed money.

detectiveDid you know you can make money finding unclaimed money for other people?

There is a little known business that lets you do that. Unclaimed money finders locate people that don’t know they money being held for them and help them to recover it.

In return, they charge a commission after the money is recovered.

Please click here if you would like to learn more about this business.


  1. Rachel says

    I need to know if I have any unclaimed money under my maiden name Rachel or my married name Rachel . Please email me if I do or send to my address

    Sylacauga , Alabama 35151

    I am also the granddaughter of veteran Robert and Catherine . My father who never supported me Charles and my mother who hasn’t supported me Debbie or Debbie all from Clay County in Alabama as well as Opelika ( my father).

  2. unclaimedfunds says

    I have deleted your personal information for privacy reasons. The best thing you can do is go to and do a search, or you can call them directly at (888) 844-8400.

    You can also send a letter to the State at:
    Office of the State Treasurer
    Unclaimed Property Division
    P.O. Box 302520
    Montgomery, AL 36130-2520 or email them at .

    Please let me know if you were able to find anything.

    Good luck!

  3. Tara Preston says

    I was wondering if there was any unclaimed money owed to Tara Preston or my husband Dan(iel) Preston. Please let me know if you find any thing.

    Thank you.

  4. Cynthia Kay Phillips says

    I’ve presently been informed that I have cancer and knowing bills won’t stop coming but will be ten-fold it would be most helpful to retrieve any funds owed to me so I can support myself if possibly able. Thank you for your help and time it is greatly appreciate rd.

  5. sonketa l davis says

    I had got a letter from metabank saying that I have funds available. All I had to do is send a copy of my licence and social security card well I did but it didnt get to them. I call them and they said the state of Alabama will receive it because I had not claim it. Please let me know if I have funds ability. Everytime I go to the web site its tell me it might not be for real.

    • unclaimedfunds says

      I did a search in Alabama and it returned “zero” results using Sonketa Davis. It’s possible it is still in transit.

      It’s a good idea to check the site every once in a while anyway, so you should check it again in a month or two. If it is still not there, you might want to follow up with them (the state) directly as well as metabank again.

  6. Melanie Piper says

    I need to find a form to return money to the unclaimed property division. I work at a NH and need the
    form for one of my residents who has passed.

  7. Ann Alonzo Cowley says

    My brother has passed away. He has unclaimed money held by State of Alabama. I’m his sister and the only heir. Please inform me what to do.

    • unclaimedfunds says


      You need to go to Money Quest Alabama and enter his name there. There, you can enter your brothers name and if there, you will see his name come up.

      Then you need to click the box on the left and click the “claim properties” tab at the bottom of the page.

      It will take you to a page that says to either “Print Form” or “Request by Mail”.

      This will start the claim process.

  8. Robin Matthews says

    I was wanting to know if I have any unclaimed money from my ex married name Wilson. Somebody from another website said I did and wanted to debit my checking account for $29.95 for a processing fee.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>